Students save lives one pint at a time
LBCC students participate in blood drive
Students enthusiastically extended their arms to donate blood Wednesday, Sept. 14 and Thursday, Sept. 15 in the College Center at the LAC.
First time nursing major Carla Torres, 17, donated blood, she found out she was AB negative. According to Stanford's blood center website in 2010, less than 0.6 percent of the U.S. population is AB negative.
Requirements for donors include weighing at least 110 pounds, 16 years old (with parent's consent), having no tattoos done in the past year due, being in good health the day of donation and valid identification.
After registration, a donor is given a pre-donation packet to read while they wait.
Then health history is checked including and heart rate, blood pressure and iron levels.
Next, donors lie down on a bed where a pint of blood is taken. Finally, they're directed toward the refreshment area to rest.
Donors were thanked with two tickets to the Laugh Factory and a coupon for Mimi's Cafe. They are also mailed a donor card, detailing their blood type.
Leonardo Ortiz, 19, a fire science major, volunteered to help students in the refreshment area while he waited his turn to donate Wednesday afternoon.
Ortiz said he "likes to help out people and help out the Association of Future Firefighters club," where he is vice president.
Amy Papageorges, a Red Cross senior account manager, said, "A donor saves three lives and in Southern California, 3 percent of the population donate blood, a majority of the blood comes from high school students and college students."
The American Red Cross, which sponsors the blood drives, are scheduled to be on both campuses again in November.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
Recent Viking News Articles
Discuss This Article
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST VIKING NEWS
RECENT VIKING CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR
- Mercedes-Benz Financial Services wants you to help “Drive Our Future”